Video Poker is one of the first casino games to be implemented into a
computerized platform. Since its introduction into the online casino scene, it has gained so many fans from all over the world. Because of its popularity, we have seen so many Video Poker variations being developed by so many casino software providers. For those that have been playing Video Poker for the longest time, they will notice that the game has changed quite a lot. Below, we look at the features that have changed since the game’s invention.
How And When Video Poker Appeared?
The history of Video Poker is very fascinating as much as the history of personal computer development. The first ‘primitive’ version of Video Poker was introduced back in the 1970s. It was named the Draw Poker. This version of Video Poker was developed by IGT back in 1979. The game grew in popularity through the 80s to date.
Many land-based casinos all over the world offered Video Poker and due to the game’s popularity, it was then introduced to online casinos. It was in the mid-90s when Video Poker emerged at online casinos. A lot of players figured out which were the best games to play. This was mainly determined by the return to player percentage (RTP) as well as the bonus features. Also, many players learned about online casino bonuses and figured out how to properly profit from the game, thereby creating Video Poker strategies. For that reason, it became beneficial for players to play online Video Poker than at land-based casinos.
Difference between Poker And Video Poker
Video poker is the child of poker, and each is equally loved and played by Canadian gamblers. However, despite this fact, there are a few notable differences between the two poker games.
The main difference between poker and video poker is that video poker can be played both online and offline. To add on to that, video poker just needs the basic knowledge of poker. This means to say that the game is simpler than its predecessor is. In addition, due to the fact the game is computerized, it comes with more versions as compared to poker in general. Furthermore, when it comes to video poker, it is much easier for players to control and manage their bankroll.
Other differences in the two games include the fact that in video poker, the hand values are set. Whereas, with poker, some hand values will not give the player any wins. Furthermore, video poker comes with many strategy charts that you can use during the game. However, with regular poker, these will not do you any good. While regular poker requires a player to possess various skills like bluffing, this is not the case with video poker.
Simple and Predictable
The main difference between Video Poker and actual Poker is simplicity. Also, there is no virtual croupier involved so there’s no chance of being cheated. This is also because of the use of the RNG which ensures that each game is separate from the previous or the next, and is not influenced by anything else.
Here, at Top 10 Canada Casinos, we recommend that you shop around for a legal and legit online casino to play online Video Poker at. It’s also very important that you know that Video Poker doesn’t require too many strategies. It’s a simplified game. That means you only need to know a little in order for you to start playing it.
Another great advantage is that you can actually predict the game’s outcome. You can do this by simply looking at the machine. For example, if the game is ‘Tens or better’, it means that the player will only get paid for a combo that’s a pair of tens and better. Because of this, you can actually calculate the possible payback as you are playing. However, it comes with a disadvantage also. As mentioned above, you have no opponent when you play except the computer. This means there’s no cheating involved and no interaction whatsoever. You can choose to play Video Poker for real money at a land-based casino or at an online casino, the choice is yours. However, whatever choice you go for, make sure you practice responsible gambling.
Reasons To Play Video Poker
- The RTP in most Video Poker games is 99%. Meaning that for every C$100 that is wagered you can win at most C$99. Take for instance Jacks or Better comes with a 99.54% RTP.
- Depending on the amount of money that you would have wagered, players who play Video Poker have the chance to walk away with huge real money prizes.
- If you love to use strategy when you play, there are several that you can use as you play Video Poker.
- The Video Poker game variations are wide. Meaning that you have a plethora of games that you can choose from.
- There are tonnes of Video Poker tournaments that players can take part in.
How to Play Video Poker
Video Poker is played with a standard 52-card deck. Players are given 5 cards. The cards can be discarded so that more cards can be drawn from the same deck in order to replace the first cards drawn. Unlike in online slots, the result of each Video Poker game is not completely dependent on the Random Number Generator (RNG). The result of a game also depends on interactions with the player and his decisions. For this reason, skill is required in order to win.
When playing free online Video Poker, 5 cards are drawn as well but this time, the player doesn’t have an opponent. For the game to start there should be a bet of between 1 and 5 coins of a certain value. Next is the interaction part where the player is offered a chance to either improve or worsen their hard. They do this by discarding the given cards and then drawing new ones. After the cards are drawn, the player can then click on the Deal button. At this point, the player only has to cross their fingers and hope that their hand is good. If it is, they win and the amount won depends on the bet size. To get more information on the game, visit the How To Play Video Poker Guide.
Video Poker Hands
- Royal Flush: This is the most powerful hand that you can get as you play Video Poker. This is a 5 card hand of the same suite. Take, for instance, 10, J, Q, K, A all of the hearts. Normally, the Royal Flush will pay out between 200x and 300x your initial bet size.
- Straight Flush: This is the second-best hand that you get. This hand consist of 5 consecutive cards of the same suit. Take, for instance, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 all of Spades. The difference between a Straight Flush and the Royal Flush are the card values. Straight Flushes pay out between 40x and 60x your initial bet.
- 4 of a Kind: This hand comprises of a set of 4 cards and 1 different card. Take, for instance, a full set of Aces, and one 2 of spades; A, A, A, A, 2. Payouts for this hand are between 20x and 30x your bet size.
- Full House: A Full House consist of three cards of the same value, and two cards of the same value as well. For example, 3,3,3,7,7. The Full House will pay players between 5x and 9x their bet size.
- Flush: A Flush is five cards of the same suit, in no order. For example, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 all of diamonds. Flushes usually pay out between 4x and 6x your initial bet.
- Straight: This video poker hand comprises five cards, in sequential order but of different suits. E.g.: 2 of hearts, 3 of spades, 4 of diamonds, 5 of three leaves, 6 of spades. The Straight hand payout is usually pegged at 3x or 4x your initial bet size.
- 3 of a Kind: This hand comprises of three cards of the same denomination and any other two cards. E.g., 4, 4, 4, 10, J. 3 of Kind will in most cases payout 3x your bet size.
- 2 pair: The 2 pair hand comes with two pairs, ad one different card. For example, 2, 2, 4, 4, 10. Players will be paid 2x their bet size for this hand.
- Pair: in Video Poker, the Pair is the lowest paying hand. It means that you have one pair and any three other cards. E.g.: 4, 4, 6, 8, 10. This hand pays out 1x your bet size. Which means you get your money back as it was.
What To Consider Before You Play Video Poker
- Make sure that you are playing at a safe and trusted real money online casino in Canada.
- If you are playing the game for real money and not free video poker, always make sure to check if they have the banking methods that you can use.
- Always make sure that you know the poker hands.
- Be it you are playing free video poker or you are playing for real money, always make sure that you read the rules.
- Play free video poker before you play for real money.
- There are many variations of Video Poker, therefore, always make sure to check the game that you are playing.
- Make sure to check the pay tables. This is because the table game has many different variations, and each of them comes with its own different paytable.
Video Poker Free vs Video Poker Real Money
Video Poker like most online casino games can be played for free as well for real money. There are many reasons why people chose to play free video poker. Similarly, there are also many reasons why a player chose to play online video poker for real money. Below, we shall look at some of those reasons.
Why Play Real Money Online Video Poker?
- Playing for real money means that players get to claim great bonuses. Playing for real money also unlocks the many promotions that come with the game.
- As you play for real money, you earn loyalty points. Which can be redeemed for real money at most real money online casinos.
- If you love to use strategy when you play, there are several that you can use as you play Video Poker.
- Video poker real money gives players tonnes of variations to choose from.
However, as much we love to play for real money, this also means that our money is at risk. To add on to that, this means that you will need to set up an account at the online casino, which may take longer.
Why play Free Online Video Poker
- Playing free Video Poker means that the players get to play instantly without any sign up required.
- With free Video Poker, players can enjoy unlimited rounds of play without having to cough up a single dime.
- Free Video Poker opens up the best training ground for players seeking to improve their poker skills online.
Just as there are drawbacks to playing for real money, there are also drawbacks to free Video Poker. Such as no monetary prizes, no matter how many times you win. To add to that, there are fewer games to play.
How To Win at Video Poker
No matter we are playing free video poker or for real money, we always want to make sure that we win. That is why we, as Top10CanCasinos have a brief, but informative section on how to win at online Video Poker.
Firstly, you need to make sure that you look for basic combinations like pairs, three of a kind and four of a kind. This, in turn, will help you secure a strong winning hand.
Secondly, do not hold on to an unpaired card looking forward to the next deal. This is as you have a higher chance of losing than you do of winning.
Thirdly, always make sure that you match your card to the highest card that you have in your hand. By so doing, you have a greater chance of coming up with a winning combination.
To add on to that, do not let go of any pair that you have. Despite the fact that it is of low value. This is because, discarding that pair will, in most cases result in you getting cards that are worse.
Lastly, always aim to get a Royal Flush over a Straight Flush. However, be careful that you do not break either of the hands.
Video Poker Types
- Triple play: This variant of video poker allows players to play three hands at once. And it is a great choice if you love multitasking.
- Double Bonus Poker: Double Bonus Poker allows players to unlock two bonuses. These will both be four of a kind.
- Deuces Wild: In Deuces Wild, the 2s are the wild cards in the game. Therefore, a royal flush that holds at least one 2 means that players will get a generous payout. Furthermore, the game usually comes with a 100.7% RTP. This means should you opt to play for real money and not free video poker, you will win amazing rewards.
- Jokers Wild: In Jokers Wild, the Jokers act as the wild card in the game. To add on to that, players need to get a pair of kings or better in order for them to receive a payout. The game is played with 53 cards and comes with a 100.6% RTP.
- Double Double Bonus: The game on the Double Bonus Poker. That being said, it pays more for four of a kind wins. Also, the game comes with a 100% RTP.
- Multi-Play: In this version of the game, players are allowed to play as many poker hands as they please.
- Aces and Faces Video Poker: is based on 5 card draw. Each player will be dealt 5 cards and they will be able to change some or all of the cards just one time
Play Video Poker for Fun Right Away
Of course, we have already mentioned that online Video Poker requires a bit of skill. What that means is that for someone who has never played the game before, playing for real money right away is a huge risk. This is why we suggest that you play Video Poker for free first.
Playing free Video Poker no download allows you enough time to practice before wagering real money. You will be delighted to know that most of the online casinos in Canada that we have recommended on this site offer you demo versions of all of their online casino games. If you visit these casinos, you will be able to find free versions of Video Poker which you can sample for free.
As you play for free, you will be able to come up with a strategy that works specifically for you and for a specific variation. You should note that you can only get the correct payoffs if you use the correct strategy. Video Poker strategies are the most important part of the gameplay.
As you play Video Poker online, you should look at your hand and then search for the cards that match a suitable hand. When you find these cards, you must discard the other cards. One thing to note is that this process is a bit difficult to master. Also, it differs with each Poker machine. You are definitely bound to make mistakes now and again as you play. It’s ok, don’t fret over it. The only thing that we suggest is that you stick to your budget. Also, never chase your losses. If you do, chances are high that you will end up losing even more money. Choose a trusted casino today from our site and start playing now!
Tips for Playing Video Poker
Since we want to get the best out of the game, allow us to give some great tips that will definitely improve your video poker gameplay.
- Always make sure that you the hand ranks of the game that you are playing. This is as you may end up opting for a hand that does not even payout.
- Use Video Poker Strategy to help you with the gameplay.
- Play the max bet option to get the best rewards out of the game.
- Check the paytable before you begin to play. As this will give you the values of the poker hands.
- Make sure that you play a game that offers you better odds.
- Play the online casino game when you are alert, playing real money online casino games when you are tired can lead to you making many mistakes.
More Casino Games for Canadian Players
Video Poker FAQs
How do free video poker games work?
With free video poker, players play the game with fake money. The gameplay is essentially the same, as you would play video poker for real money. The only difference is one gives you real money wins, while the other gives you fake money wins.
How can I win?
The best way that you can win at video poker is to practice and to be patient. This as the game does not require any skill. However, playing free video poker will help.
Is the game rigged?
No, video poker is not rigged. The wins are generated by a Random Number Generator, which is a computer algorithm made specifically to make sure that no online casino games are rigged.
Can I download free video poker games?
To play free video poker, there is no need for you to download the games. You can easily play video poker games on the casino site, via your web browser. All you will need is a PC or mobile device with a working internet connection and you’re good to go!
How can I get good it?
To get good at video poker, you need to make sure that practice. Furthermore, you can read our tips to make sure that you get better at the game.
How do you play free video poker?
You play free video poker by betting fake money hoping to make sure that you come up with the strongest hand. The machine will simply deal you five cards. It will be up to you to decide whether to keep the cards you’ve been dealt. Thereafter, the cards you discard will be replaced with the new ones. If you want to have a strong possible hand, you can simply press the deal twice. If you win, your coins will be added to your bankroll.
The poker free games work exactly the same as real money games. The difference is that you are just keeping track of a fake bankroll for fun. The software of the game carries a random number generator to determine which cards are dealt with. The beauty is that you don’t need a casino account to play. What you simply need is an internet connection. On the other hand, you can also play video poker offline if you have downloaded a free video poker app
How can you get good at playing video poker?
With many casino games, the main objective is to be a good player is through practice. However, there are certain tips that you can employ to improve your skill towards a particular game. But playing free online casino games are the best way you can be a casino wizard. This will also enable you to figure out which game suits you the best for real money gambling.
How do you win when playing free video poker?
The only way you can win at free video poker you need more practice and be patient. There is actually no real skill involved in playing. But the type of free video poker game you choose will make a difference.
What do you win in playing free games
There is no way you can play free video poker to win real money. During your gameplay, you win whatever the payout table for the variant offers you. Even though there is no monetary value, it is perfect for learning realistic payouts before putting cash on the line.
How does video poker work?
Video poker machines are programmed to function in the circle of winnings as well as losses. There is no machine programmed to operate in cycles. The RNG carries an algorithm based on which to select the cards a player will get.
What are the odds on video poker?
When you decide to play a basic video poker game with 52 cards, the odds of getting a Royal Flush during the draw are 1 in 649,749. Moreover, for a straight flush it is 1 in 72,193 and for Four of a Kind – 1 in 4,165.